Tuesday 19 August 2014

and now for something completely different, for me anyway

Ok so I'm an illustrator, but deep down there has been something else creative lurking. For many years I have had the seed of a novel, just niggling away at the back of my mind, a seed that had water and nutrients added a few years ago at a conference.

I attended the annual UK SCBWI conference in Winchester and one of the classes was working with us as illustrators, getting us to imagine and see all the detail in a piece of writing, it got us to open our minds further as artists. The artist leading the class, Debbie Gliori, read extracts from the following piece by Stephen King. It inspired me, not only as an illustrator (I think I put those details in my images already) but it made me want to write.

I came home inspired and the seed started to grow, eventually some months later I put pen to paper, well fingers to ipad and wrote my first piece, that now (slightly titivated) stands as my prologue. That was it I was hooked and wanted to write more and have.

My novel for YA is written, edited (twice), beefed up, spell checked. It has taken a year, but its been a wonderful journey, the seed had grown, blossomed and fruited, I have learnt so much about writing, the do's and don'ts, the research has taken me to unimaginable places and been very serendipitous along the way and I have learnt so much about myself, opened my eyes further with those details.

In honesty I only wrote it for myself, never really thought any more about it than that. However there have been a few willing people who have taken their time to read it, advise, help and praise where it's due and given me encouragement not to give up. I know I'm a way off being brave enough and proud enough of it to try submitting it, but maybe one day, until then new seeds are forming, I have 'the bug'.

Now over to Mr Stephen King, get inspired...

http://www.wordplayer.com/pros/pr13.King.Stephen.html


No comments:

Post a Comment